The uAvionix skyBeacon is the industry’s latest, most innovative, and least expensive ADS-B out solution that will bring you and your airplane into compliance with the FAA’s quickly impending January 1, 2020 deadline.
skyBeacon is a very small footprint, intuitive form factor that lives on your left wingtip and replaces your red navigation position light. It includes not only an LED nav/position light, but also an LED anti-collision/strobe light. Right below the light is a fin that is actually an antenna for the built-in WAAS GPS. The unit mounts with only three screws and three wires. That’s right, no running of any additional wires through the wings. skyBeacon is compatible with all Mode C and Mode S transponders and is quickly and easily configured on a smartphone with the uAvionix skyBeacon app. The unit, once configured and tied to a particular aircraft cannot be unlocked and thus, deters theft, as it is completely useless locked to your particular airplane. Additionally, even thieves know that stealing a precision GPS positioning device makes for a short career as a thief!
While the initial cost of the skyBeacon is eminently reasonable, you will not get any surprises from your avionics shop or maintenance provider. It can be installed in a hurry in 15 minutes, but it is reasonable to expect that it will not take any more than an hour. Finally, we found something for your airplane that costs under $100 bucks to install!
Here are some of the core features of the skyBeacon:
- ADS-B Out
- WAAS GPS
- LED Nav Light
- LED Anti-Collision (Strobe)
- 2020 Compliance
- Mounts in under 10 minutes
- Lowest total cost of ownership of any ADS-B Out solution
- No airframe modifications or additional antennas are required.
- Works with any Mode C or Mode S transponder.
- Transponder data is provided via the existing aircraft wiring system using the Power Transcoder.
- skyBeacon uses the existing mounting location, breaker, and wiring.
- The installation requires 3 screws and 3 wires